Sister of Flame

A place where HeartShadow will discuss the how FlameKeeping affects her personally. The essays will be discussed and other topics raised that relate to religion and her personal life.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Love of the Divine

I wrote here as though feeling the love I feel for the Divine, and the love I feel from it, was something anyone can feel. And I recognize that not everyone feels that love, and most certainly, not everyone feels it like an overwhelming force. I don't think that detracts from my main point, though. We can love the Divine and let it be what it is, or we can try to shove it in a box and contain it and make it safe .. and make it meaningless.

Love is transformative, especially love of gods and the Divine. Since accepting that love, my life has changed. I've learned to accept myself, I even more or less accept this calling. (more or less. it's a terrifying calling). And I've even stopped questioning my sanity on the talks-to-gods issue .. well, mostly. I know that it is my truth and that regardless of whether or not it's "real" to other people, it's real to me. And perhaps more importantly, it brings me joy and love. Given that I can function well enough in society, sanity seems an irrelevant issue.

The Divine isn't what we want it to be. It is what it is, and loving the reality of it means so much more than loving a false image of what we wish existed.

What does faith mean to me? Going forward, whether you doubt or not. Accepting both what you can and what you can't control. Not clinging to the love of the Divine bacause I don't need to cling: the love is there, all I have to do is accept it .. and by accepting it, sharing it. It is a love too large to hold to oneself.

hrm. looks like I answered all the questions there .. because they're all related. Love brings such a change that questions of faith and doubt become very difficult to answer clearly. And doubt .. I don't know that I'm getting it right. I frequently think I'm mad for trying to write everything down and share it with people. But doubting the Divine .. I might as well try to doubt the laptop I'm currently typing on. I can doubt whether or not it is sentient and whether or not it cares. But the Universe exists, and it is full of beauty as well as pain and other less-desirable things. We can add to the beauty and make things better, if we're willing to try. And to me, that's the truest love to give to the Divine. It is the love we give to everyone we love: to care for them enough to want to see them better, happier, more jpyful and more complete.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link