Sister of Flame

A place where HeartShadow will discuss the how FlameKeeping affects her personally. The essays will be discussed and other topics raised that relate to religion and her personal life.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A sacred calling

I don't think we, societally, believe that much in callings anymore. After all, what matters is money, right? You can buy anything else you need.

Of course, you can't. There are so many things money can't buy. If your job is killing you, is the money worth it? I don't think so.

We've also lost our ability to think smaller. Everything has to be the big leagues. Either I will write the next Great American Novel, or I won't write at all .. because what good is being a second-rate hack? Either I will be President of the US, or I will never run for political office. The fear of being second-rate cripples us from doing what we love. Even if we let ourselves do what we love, we refuse to give it a priority in our lives, calling it a "hobby" and letting it get shunted aside.

I am doing what I love. I am a mother and an author. Even if I never get a novel published, I'm still going to keep writing, keep working at it. (I'll be ticked, but that's to be expected). And I love being a stay-at-home mom, although part of me really can't wait for him to go to school. :) But because I love it, I do a better job and am happier. I might be able to make more money out of the house, but would it be worth it to me? No.

Questions:

What are my callings? Right now, mommy, author, and this religious stuff. Conveniently, that's also what I'm doing. And I'm content with that.

What have I given up as a calling? As a child/teen, I wanted to go into medical research. I saw myself as coming up with a cure for AIDS or cancer or something. And yes, I gave that up. Flunking Organic Chemistry was a bit of a wake-up call there, that I was in over my head. I also realized I was a lot more interested in behavior than chemistry, and changed my major. Is a dream gone? Yes, but it's been replaced by better ones. I don't regret the change.

Is there something I've always wished I could be and am not? Well, part of me wishes I was Christian, but that's so I wouldn't have to do the work of STARTING a religion .. I could just go with what someone else did. But that's my lazy side talking. :) And I wish I could sing well .. I can hold a tune, but only sometimes. There are many things I wish I could be and am not. However, none of them are integral to who I am .. they're just nice things that I'd like to add in to myself. (ability to draw would be stellar!) And I've played around with them, too. I just suck at it. :) But I've always tried.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link