Sister of Flame

A place where HeartShadow will discuss the how FlameKeeping affects her personally. The essays will be discussed and other topics raised that relate to religion and her personal life.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Loving Knowledge

Knowledge is, to me, very sacred. The contents of our minds, and what we do with them, make us what we are. Plus, I like knowing things. :) I could easily get caught up in researching things and never be seen from again if it wasn't for pesky issues like food.

We discover and invent because it is in our nature to do so. There's a joy to creative thought which makes life so much more beautiful than it could ever otherwise be. When I was younger, I wanted to do research, preferably in medicine, and make many people happy and healthy. Unfortunately for that dream, my skills lie elsewhere. But I still create and I still learn. And I hope I bring people new thoughts and ideas which make them mentally and spiritually happier and healthier.

Why is learning important? Beyond all the obvious reasons (knowing stuff useful!), learning makes us what we are. We come into this world thirsty for knowledge, thirsty for stimulation and wonder. We run to our parents and show them the new thing we've found like it's the greatest thing ever. And that joy of discovery is precious and should be retained. Why isn't learning an absolute good? Both because we need to do other things (pesky food again) but because there are ethics above learning. Just because a question interests us doesn't mean we can trample over people to learn about it.

How we get information .. I think that depends on the person. I love discovering "new" things, even if someone else discovered it before. I hate being told what I'll find in advance, though. I think how we get information best depends on the person. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be willing to look for information in new places or old, regardless of our preferences.

How does knowledge pass between us and the Divine? Easy answer: damned if I know! harder answer .. I do think it happens. We are part of the Divine. What we are is part of It. So what we know is part of It as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link