Sister of Flame

A place where HeartShadow will discuss the how FlameKeeping affects her personally. The essays will be discussed and other topics raised that relate to religion and her personal life.

Friday, April 14, 2006

I embrace the Universe

I really never know how to put my relationship with the Divine into words: and so, often, I don't. I avoid the topic and stick to the stuff that does go into words more easily. I fear misleading people, and so say nothing at all.

Questions first:
How do I see the Divine? I don't have a picture, clearly .. The Divine is everything, and I can't see that far. I find it easier to look at small pieces. I can see the Divine in a leaf unfurling on a tree, in my son's eyes, in the bird that lands outside the window and chirps at me. There really aren't any words to describe the way the Divine moves in my life. I see the mundane things .. the bird, the leaf .. but at the same time, I see them as sacred and part of the Divine. The Divine is all things. The Divine is love. These things I take on faith.

What do I wish I could hide from the Divine? The list is endless. I can be petty, I can be heartless .. I routinely stick my foot in my mouth. There are so many things about myself that I wish I could hide from the world. To show them to the Divine .. to be honest in myself before the Divine is painful sometimes. I can't even lie to myself about these things, as much as I wish I could. But at the same time, I know how loved I am for myself, which is something I couldn't know if I lied.

What is the way I should relate to the Divine, and how can it be messed up? I need to be honest, both with myself and before the Divine. It's so easy to lie, to pretend. And sometimes it's necessary to pretend: my son doesn't need to know I just want to bawl instead of change his diaper or feed him. Better that he sees a happy Mommy. But I can't lie to myself, and I can't lie to the Divine. When I try to lie, I end up talking only to myself.

I think one of the most important things about relating with the Divine is accepting that you're not in charge of the relationship. I have to accept that my life is going to get pushed in ways I hadn't intended. (like, y'know, this blog. and the other blog. and this entire religion thing). I'm not powerless in this: I have the ability, the right, and indeed the duty to be sure that where I'm going is where I want to go. I can refuse anything. I just have to accept the consequences that come with my choices.

I am not subservient or a child .. I am simply a part of the Divine. As a part, I have responsibilities towards the whole, and it has responsibilities towards me(itself). But most of all, there is love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link