Sister of Flame

A place where HeartShadow will discuss the how FlameKeeping affects her personally. The essays will be discussed and other topics raised that relate to religion and her personal life.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

More submission

This is more about submission directly to another person.

And I'm still not talking about the little things. If you agree to go along to a movie you don't particularly want to say because it will make your husband happy, that's not a big deal. I'm talking about serious submission .. letting someone else choose for you what you will do with your life, or whether or not you will do something of a serious moral nature. I've known people that try to give over everything to another person. They define themselves as submissive to the point that all they want is someone to take control for them. And you know what? That's not living. That's not even remotely living. That's just existing.

We are each our own person. I can't give over my responsibilities to you, and you can't give yours to me. It might be easier if we could .. hell, I know there are days I'd love to just turn everything over to someone else and be a monkey with opposable thumbs. But I'm not, and if I tried to live that way, I'd be cheating myself and the Divine.

Why is submission wrong? Because it's impossible and a lie to oneself. Why is it impossible? Because we can't give ourselves over to someone else. We're not robots and we don't have a remote-control. Trying to be someone we're not and give over our responsibility to someone else just doesn't work, and the more we try things that doesn't work, the more messed up we get. Attempting submission stands between ourselves and the Divine.

Why do we try to dodge moral culpability for our actions? I'm the one that asked this, and I still want to respond with "duh". We don't like seeing ourselves as bad people. We hate to see ourselves as doing bad things. So when we feel trapped (for whatever reason) into doing things we don't like, we find a way to prove that it isn't our "fault". Even if it's a lie.

Why isn't the law an excuse? Because nothing's an excuse. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral. Slavery was legal for most of human history under various permutations, but we now look at it as abhorrent. It never changed the moral culpability of the people involved, either. Nothing does. You can't change what's moral by changing the law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link