Sister of Flame

A place where HeartShadow will discuss the how FlameKeeping affects her personally. The essays will be discussed and other topics raised that relate to religion and her personal life.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Picking up the pieces and going home

I'm always amazed at people that have big lofty dreams and yet appear to be doing nothing to actually get there. Lofty ideas about how to solve great world problems, and not so much as a quarter dropped into a charity bucket at a resturant. There's something wrong with this picture.

I'm not saying charity is the answer, mind you. Charity should always be a stopgap measure. It becomes a problem, in my view, when charity becomes something you rely upon. (this problem can be systemic OR personal. I don't want to sound like I'm blaming those that have no choice: for them, the system is broken). Still, it needs to be there to get by.

But we need to do things. Not just sit around and bemoan what's there to do, but actually do it, and with concrete goals. When I go out to weed my garden, I don't say "okay, the garden needs to look perfect". I pick a small section, one I can reach from one sitting position, usually, and say that I'm going to clean up THAT section. And the next day I take the next section. And sooner or later, it gets done.

It's great to have lofty ideals. We all need that. But we also need to clean up this little corner here before we move on to the next one.

Questions:
What do I think needs improvement most and how do I work on it? For a long time, I focused on the material things. What needed help was poverty, hunger, illnesses. And they're all very important to me still, but I don't have the skills to help much there. Where I do have the skills and the drive to change things is with viewpoint. Change the viewpoint, and everything follows after that. (how'm I doing it? *looks around* if you can't tell yet, I ain't telling you!)

Are there things I refuse to act on? I would say, rather, that there are things I'm paralyzed about. I am blessed and cursed with the ability to see big pictures and how things interrelate, and I can SEE how tweaking this over here tweaks that over there. It makes things difficult sometimes, because I see both what I can do and what that does in the long term, and I'm never quite sure if I like what I see.

Can I distinguish between dreams and goals? Are they set right? Well, I think so, but of course, I would. My dreams directly affect my goals, although the ends do not justify the means. (they never do, after all). But I write one post at a time, and hope that the message I'm sending out actually gets received and makes sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link