Sister of Flame

A place where HeartShadow will discuss the how FlameKeeping affects her personally. The essays will be discussed and other topics raised that relate to religion and her personal life.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Ooh, looky what I did!

I'm so proud of me for this blog! ooh yes indeedy.

Well, not really. I am proud of what I've done .. I've worked hard, and it's good to see things coming together. This work has meaning, and I'm proud of that.

But I don't let myself see it as finished or as the only thing I need to know, either. It would be easy to let pride blind me to all the work left to do .. and that would be a bad thing. If I were to look at what I'd done and think that it made me a better person than the people around me, that would be a problem.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of what I've done. The problem would be if I thought that was enough.

Questions:

Where do I feel pride, and did I earn it? I feel pride when I finish writing a novel .. or even when I've finished my daily writing tasks I've set myself. I don't think I feel pride for things I haven't earned .. although I do feel astonishing pride when my son hits a new milestone, and I'm not entirely certain I have earned that.

How do I react to pride? It motivates me .. I want to feel it again. I like looking at something I've done and being able to say I've finished it. Of course, I also want to have the best possible product to be proud OF .. it's easy to be proud I finished a novel. It's a lot more meaningful to be proud that I've written a GOOD novel. (and it would be astonishing to have written a good PUBLISHED novel .....)

Pride in other people? It ... depends. When I can see justification for it, I appreciate it. There's power in knowing that you've done something and being proud of your accomplishment. When I see no justification for it, however, it scares me. Pride without justification is dangerous, because it's fragile. It's based on sand and the tide is coming in. People that have their pride based on nothing are very quick to lash out and hurt others to try and re-establish their own worth in their eyes, and they are very scary people.

There's nothing wrong with pride .. as long as you earn it and let it motivate you. When you let it blind you, then it really is a downfall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link