Sister of Flame

A place where HeartShadow will discuss the how FlameKeeping affects her personally. The essays will be discussed and other topics raised that relate to religion and her personal life.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Here, truth truth truth!

I'm always astonished by the idea that truth is a thing that can be owned or quantified. "Don't you want to know the TRUTH?" is a sentence which usually makes me giggle: often because the "truth" then shared strikes me as anything but true. But they hoard truth in their little boxes and keep it safe from anything outside that truth, for fear the truth will be shattered by contact with reality.

I think truth is stronger than that. It is what underlies everything, the one strong reality that IS everything. When truth can't stand up to the rest of the world, what you have isn't truth. It's a process of uncovering, also, not a once-found then done. I absolutely find astonishing the idea that one can "find truth" and then move on to a new hobby or activity. Finding truth is a lifetime activity, if not longer.

Seeking truth and creating beauty is one of the important things that we do. Sharing our knowledge of what we find, seeking more and sharing more, improves the Divine. Whenever we try to lock truth in a box and claim we've found it, we deny the rest of the universe that's out there.

Questions!

What do I seek? What do I find? I seek questions, because I think that answers are .. doubtful. It's easy to answer a question and think you're done with it. But the value is often in the question, not the answer. The same question can be revisited many times and a new answer or set of answers found again and again. A question opens up a line for truth. An answer, when you think you're done with answering, ends that line.

Do I keep things boxed up? I certainly hope not. I know there are some things which I view through a narrow lens .. I do think that in some things, there is a right way and a wrong way. I'm not about to take up driving on the other side of the road simply because I question whether traffic laws are valid. But for things that aren't simply a matter of convention, but matters of truth .. I try to keep my mind open while not having it fall out. I'm not going to believe things just because someone says them. There are things which fly in the face of conventional wisdom and logic, and while I may listen, I'm not going to believe it simply because it's there asking for belief. Logic and common sense are important too.

Am I content with not having all the answers? I think so. I don't think I'd know what to do if I had all the answers, actually. If everything was known, what would be left to do?

I take great comfort in the knowledge that there will always be more to learn, more to discover. It gives motivation to me to know there's always something new around the corner. If there wasn't, life would be incredibly boring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link