Sister of Flame

A place where HeartShadow will discuss the how FlameKeeping affects her personally. The essays will be discussed and other topics raised that relate to religion and her personal life.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

What I give in sacrifice

I give of myself in sacrifice to the Divine. In return, I get myself.

What I give is in large part this blog. I give in thinking and in sharing my thoughts. I feel like I need to do more, but I'm not sure when and I'm really not sure how. A lot of volunteer things happen on the weekends. Call me petty, but I want to sleep in. (I also don't want to donate money AND time. One or the other, thank you. Both? No.)

I do feel like I've gained more in this sacrifice than I've given. I'm happier and mentally healthier with being open to the Divine. But some of the steps I've taken are ones I would not have taken for myself. I would never have started sharing my ideas of FlameKeeping if I hadn't been bullied/requested to do so. But they've been good for me, and I hope they've been good for the Divine as well.

Questions:
What do I give in sacrifice and why? I give of my time and my thought. I give it because it's what I have and what I value. It's true, giving of my thoughts doesn't cost me anything. If anything, I grow in return. But it is still a gift, because no one else has the right combination of skills to do this work. And I believe it is necessary, or at least valuable work.

What have I gained from the sacrifice? Clarity of mind and purpose. I feel more confident about my spirituality and more stable in myself with what I do. And I'm happier. Is it worth what I do? Yes. This doesn't mean it's all happy joy joy. I've had hard times with this, and I've felt used and overworked and miserable at times. But all in all, it's very worth it. I can give and give freely, and am enriched by giving the gift.

What do I refuse to sacrifice? My family. I would love to have a degree in theology, but I'm not going to ask my family to incur the debt for that, especially since it won't ever bring money back in. If I have the money and I can do it without hurting my family, I'd like to. And I'm sure I'd be able to articulate my thoughts better and do a better job at my work if I could get some help with that. But I'm not going to risk my family or take money away from their needs, and I don't really care what it costs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link