Sister of Flame

A place where HeartShadow will discuss the how FlameKeeping affects her personally. The essays will be discussed and other topics raised that relate to religion and her personal life.

Friday, July 21, 2006

I like stuff

I do. I really like stuff. Lately, I cannot be allowed ANYWHERE that they sell baby/kiddy toys without a short leash. I would cheerfully spoil my baby rotten and enjoy every minute of it until, y'know, it backfired. And I like me-stuff too. I'd happily buy tons of books, pens (why do I like pens so much when I always use the computer?) computer games .. things like that.

But I also know that food is more important than books. (that's why there's a library!). Keeping a roof over my head is more important than the latest in shiny plastic goodness to give him. Being healthy is better than being wealthy, too .. sure, we could make more money as a family, but not in a way that would be healthy for us.

We have enough, and while a little more breathing room would help (a LOT! donate to your guru! *grin*) we're managing .. and that's what's important. We live within our means as best we can.

I don't particularly care if my clothing is brand name. (to be honest, I'm not even sure what that /means/. I mean, they've all got labels in them .. so what?) I'm not going to spend extra for the priviledge of sticking someone else's name on my butt. I don't care if I'm spending more conspicuously than the neighbors. I don't even care if the furniture all matches, although I do someday long for a living room that looks a little less like a tornado hit it. (not that I expect I'll ever have one .. I'm the tornado!)

But .. we're comfortable. And that's plenty.

Questions:
What do I desire and why? Oh, I desire many things. :) Most of them I leave on the "I desire" list and just sigh over, because they're impractical or far too expensive .. although I have to be careful to not let hubby know, or he'll try to buy them for me anyway! But I adore things like pen sets, especially fountain pens .. craft sets .. baby toys ....... But I try to be reasonable. After all, a roof and food is a lot more important .. as is my husband working only reasonable hours and spending time at home with me instead of always being at work!

What do I buy that I shouldn't? Craft sets and computer games. I LOVE computer games (and I'm starting to discover the joy of online gaming .. oh dear ....) and I love craft sets. But I never know what to do with the craft set thing when I'm DONE with it!

How do we prepare for the future? That's the one thing we're not doing .. our budget is close enough to the line that we really don't have much in the way of savings. Which is why, if I don't get a book published by the time our youngest is in school, I'm probably going to go to work part-time and just take that paycheck directly into savings. (But I'm NOT just going to rely on my writing career .. too many people set goals on something so difficult to get. I refuse to bank my family's future on something that may never come to pass, even though I truly hope it will).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link